Tuesday 16 February 2016

Poetry Blog No 124 End of Faust Part One


END OF FAUST PART ONE- Troubled day, Field, Dungeon.

After the surreal scenes of Walpurgis night we are plunged back into the full impact of the tragedy. Margaret has lost her reason and is in prison awaiting execution. Nevertheless, it is Margaret who sees through the illusions that have misled her, who recognises the true nature of Mephistopheles and who is ultimately redeemed while Faust at this point is still on the downward path.








 Faust and Margaret in the Dungeon- Willy Pognay 1908




TROUBLED DAY- FIELD

FAUST, MEPHISTOPHELES

FAUST

In misery! Despairing! Long and pitifully astray upon the earth and now imprisoned! With terrible torments shut up like an evil-doer in a dungeon, that beautiful, unhappy creature! Things have gone so far! So far! Treacherous, vile, abominable spirit; this you have kept secret from me! Just stand there, stand! In rage roll your devilish eyes around in your head! Stand and defy me with your intolerable presence! Shut away! In irretrievable misery! Given over to evil spirits and judging, unfeeling humankind! While you lulled me with insipid diversions you concealed her growing grief from me and left her to perish helplessly!

MEPHISTOPHELES

She is not the first.

FAUST

Dog! Detestable monster and abomination! Transform him, You Infinite Spirit! Transform this worm back into his canine shape. Change him back to that in which he was pleased to trot before me during a nightly break, rolling himself at the feet of the harmless wanderer and clinging onto the shoulders of any who had fallen. Change him back to his favourite shape so that he may crawl, cringing before me, on the sand and there I may kick and trample him with my feet, Vile outcast of all! Not the first! Grief! Oh, grief! Beyond the grasp of the human soul to think that more than one creature has sunk to the depths of such misery, that the first did not go through enough in writhing death agony for all the others in the eyes of the eternally-forgiving One! I’m stirred and agitated right through to my very marrow, my life’s core, by the need and misery of this one person- you grin, composed and calm, over the fate of thousands!

MEPHISTOPHELES

Now here we are already, once more at our wit’s border, where your human sense and understanding snap. Why did you form bonds of companionship with us, if you cannot go through with it? Did we press ourselves on you, or you on us?

FAUST

Don’t snarl and bare your greedy teeth like that at me! It fills me with disgust! Great and glorious Spirit, you who found me worthy enough to appear before me, you who know my heart and know my soul, why chain me to this infamous companion who gloats over grievous harm and relishes destruction?

MEPHISTOPHELES

Are you finished?

FAUST

Save her! Or all grief be upon you! The most gruesome of curses be upon you for thousands of years!

MEPHISTOPHELES

I cannot loosen the avenger’s fetters, nor open his bolted bars. Save her! Who was it who plunged her to destruction? I or you?

FAUST LOOKS AROUND WILDLY

Are you grasping after thunder? It’s well that it wasn’t given to you miserable mortals! To smash to pieces the innocent objector, that is the manner of the tyrant, that is his method for getting relief from his embarrassment.

FAUST

Take me to her! She shall be freed!

MEPHISTOPHELES

And the danger to which you will expose yourself? Know that blood-guilt from your hand still lies over the town. For over the places of slayings hover avenging spirits that lurk waiting for the returning murderer.

FAUST

That too from you? The death and murder of a whole world fall on you, you monster! Lead me to her, I say, and set her free!

MEPHISTOPHELES

I’ll lead you there and as for the rest of what I can do- listen! Do you think I have all the power of heaven and earth? I’ll surround the gaoler’s senses with mist, then you seize hold of the keys and lead her out by human hand! I'll stand watch! The enchanted horses are ready... I carry you both away. That much can I do.

FAUST

Up and away!



NIGHT OPEN FIELD

FAUST AND MEPHISTOPHELES STORM ACROSS ON BLACK HORSES

FAUST

What are they weaving round the Ravenstone?

MEPHISTOPHELES

Don’t know what they’re brewing and making?

FAUST

Floating up, floating down, bending and bowing.

MEPHISTOPHELES

A witches’ guild.

FAUST

They strew and hallow.

MEPHISTOPHELES
Pass by! Pass by!

DUNGEON

FAUST (WITH A BUNCH OF KEYS AND A LAMP, BEFORE A SMALL IRON DOOR)

I gasp with long-forgotten horror's breath,
I'm seized by every human sorrowing.
She lives behind dank walls and slime.
A fair delusion her only crime!
You hesitate to go within.
You fear to see her once again!
Forward! Weak wavering advances death.

HE SEIZES THE LOCK. SOUND OF SINGING FROM WITHIN

My mother, the whore,
Took life from me!
My father, the rogue,
Has eaten me!
My small sister alone
Has buried my bones
Down in a cool, cool place.
I've changed into a beautiful bird;
Fly away, fly apace!

FAUST (UNLOCKING)

She doesn’t dream her love can hear the raw,
Rough clink of chains, the rustling of the straw.

HE ENTERS

MARGARET (HIDING ON HER PALLET)

Oh! They are coming. Bitter death!

FAUST (SOFTLY)

Ssh! Ssh! I’ve come to set you free.

MARGARET ( TURNING OVER TO FACE HIM)

If you are human, feel my misery!

FAUST

Your cries will rouse the night guards from their rest.

HE SEIZES THE CHAINS TO UNLOCK THEM

MARGARET (ON HER KNEES)

Who gave you, hangman, heavy
Power over me!
At midnight now you’re taking me already.
Have mercy, let me live, let be!
Is dawn not soon enough for you to come?

SHE STANDS UP

I’m still so young, so young!
Yet I must die!
I once was beautiful, and that was my
Downfall. My friend, once near, is far off now;
The wreath lies ripped and scattered are the flowers.
Don’t grip as strongly as you do!
Spare me! What have I done to you?
Don’t let me plead and beg in vain;
I do not even know your name!

FAUST

How shall I bear this grief, this pain!

MARGARET

I am now wholly in your power.
Just let me feed my child first now.
All night heart-close I held it, then
To grieve me they took it away;
I murdered it- that’s what they say.
I never shall have joy again.
They sing these songs about me! It’s wicked that they do!
An old folk tale has such an end,
Who says that it is true?

FAUST (CASTING HIMSELF DOWN)

A lover lies here at your feet,
To break the chains of pain and grief.

MARGARET

Oh, let us kneel, and call on holy ones on high!
See! under these stone steps, close by,
Beneath this threshold, swell
Legions from hell!
There evil’s king,
With fear-filling fury,
Makes a hideous din!

FAUST (LOUDLY)

Gretchen! Gretchen!

MARGARET (ATTENTIVE)

That was the voice of my friend.

SHE LEAPS UP. THE CHAINS FALL OFF

Where is he? I heard him call! I’m free!
And none shall keep him now from me.
I’ll hang upon his neck, and I…
Close on his breast I’ll lie!
Gretchen! he called me from the threshold stone-
Through all of hell’s howling and clattering storm,
Through all of the fury of devilish scorn,
I knew his sweet and loving tone.

FAUST

I’m here!

MARGARET

You’re here! O say it once again!

SEIZING HIM

He is! He is! Where is my fear and pain?
Where is the fear of prison? The chains?
You’ve come! Come to rescue me!
And I am free!-
Again I see the street where I
Saw you at first, at first while passing by,
And the cheerful garden too,
Where I and Martha walked with you.

FAUST (PUSHING TOWARD THE DOOR)

Come on! Come on!

MARGARET

Stay here! Stay here!
For I am happiest while you are near!

CARESSING HIM

FAUST

Hurry! Fly!
If you don’t fly
We will pay dearly for all this!

MARGARET

What! You can no longer kiss?
My friend, so short a time gone missing,
To so unlearn your kissing?
Why do I fear to hang upon your neck? Once it would be
That from your words, your glance, would spread
A whole, fair heaven overhead-
You kissed as if you’d smother me.
Kiss me now!
Then I’ll kiss you!

SHE EMBRACES HIM

Ah me! Your lips are cold-
Are mute.
Where is your love,
My love?
Who broke love’s hold?

FAUST

Come! Follow me! My love, be brave again!
I’ll fill your heart with a thousand times more flame!
Just follow me! That’s all I beg of you!

MARGARET

And is it you? And is it really you?

FAUST

It’s truly me! Come on!

MARGARET

You loose my chains,
You take me in your arms again.
But why do you not shrink from me?
Do you not know, my friend, whom you are setting free?

FAUST

Come! Already night yields up its power!

MARGARET

I have killed my mother. I have drowned
My child. Wasn’t it to be
A gift, a gift to you and me?
You too.- It’s you! I scarce believe it yet.
Give me your hand! It’s not a dream!
Your dearest hand!- Ah! but it is wet!
Wipe it clean now!- Clean! - it seems
It’s blood.
Oh God! What have you done!
Put up your sword, put up,
I beg you- please!

FAUST

Oh! Let what now has gone be gone,
You’re killing me.

MARGARET

No! you must live! I shall
Describe to you the graves.
And you must tend them all,
Tomorrow, right away;
So give the best place to my mother,
And right beside her lay my brother;
Me, a bit to the side,
Not too far aside!-
No one else will lie by me!
Nestling by you once would be
A sweet and gracious happiness.
But that’s now something I can’t do;
Seems I must force myself on you,
As if pushed back. Nonetheless,
It’s you- so good, so pious is your gaze.

FAUST

You feel it’s so- then come, oh, come!

MARGARET

Out there?

FAUST

Into free air.

MARGARET

If there’s the grave,
If death’s in wait- then come will you!
From here to an everlasting bed of rest
And further- not one step!
You’re going? O Heinrich, would I could go too!

FAUST

You can! Just will it so! The door is free.

MARGARET

I may not go; no hope is left for me.
They’d track me down. What use is it to flee?
To have to beg is agony,
And with a guilty heart as well!
To roam strange realms is misery,
And they’d still catch me- I can tell!

FAUST

I’ll stay by you.|
|
MARGARET

Go quickly! Quick, I pray!
Save your poor child! Away!
Just stay on the track
That runs by the brook,
Across the small bridge
And into the forest,
Left, where the planks still reach
Into the pond.
Quickly, grab on!
It wants to surface,
Still struggles- see!
Save it! Save it!

FAUST

Grip onto your sanity!
It’s but one step, and you are free!

MARGARET

If only we were past the mountain! Alone,
My mother sits there on a stone-
An icy grip seizes my hair!
My mother sits there on a stone;
Her head is wagging there-
She doesn’t wave, she doesn’t beckon, her head is heavy for
She slept so long, she wakes no more.
She slept so that we would have our bliss.
They were such times of happiness!

FAUST

No word, no pleading is enough,
So I must dare to bear you off.

MARGARET

No, leave me, leave! I'll not put up with force!
Don’t grip like murder; for it's true:
I have done all the rest for love of you.

FAUST

The day dawns! Love! my love!

MARGARET

Day! Yes, day is dawning. The last day dawns in gray!
It was to be my wedding day!
Tell no one you’ve already been with Gretchen.
My wreath- oh grief!
But what is done is done!
We’ll yet meet once
But not to dance.
No noise is heard, although crowds throng.
Square, street, and alley
Cannot hold the rally.
They break the wand, the bell has rung,
They seize and bind me! I’m led
Already to the block. It’s time.
And each neck feels the dread
Of that sharp blade that's drawn for mine.
Mute lies the world like the grave!

FAUST

Oh, would I’d never been born!

MEPHISTOPHELES (APPEARING OUTSIDE)

Up! Or you’re lost; be warned.
This stalling and chattering! Needless wavering!
My horses are shivering,
The sky is flushed with light.

MARGARET

What rose from the ground to my sight?
Him! Him! Oh, send him off!
Oh, why is he in this holy spot?
He wants me!

FAUST

You shall live!

MARGARET

Judgement of God! To You I give myself!

MEPHISTOPHELES

Come! Come! I’ll leave you both forever lost.

MARGARET

Thine am I, Father! Save me now!
Your angels! Your holy host,
Cluster around me, guard me with your power!
Heinrich! I fear for you.

MEPHISTOPHELES

She is condemned!

VOICES (FROM ABOVE)

She is saved!

MEPHISTOPHELES (TO FAUST)

Come here to me!

(HE VANISHES WITH FAUST)

VOICE (FROM WITHIN, DYING AWAY)

Heinrich! Heinrich!


THE END OF PART ONE

No comments:

Post a Comment