Monday 8 February 2016

Poetry Blog No 122 Spring Morning- Seaside Town


SPRING MORNING- SEASIDE TOWN



Sometimes being in another place to which you are not accustomed can make you aware of the deeper level behind the everyday. For instance, the way in which every dawn is like an echo of dawn as an archetype. It was such a feeling that was the cause of this poem, although at the time I had only time to sketch a few lines and make a few notes and the rest was completed later over a few revisions and retries. I am no longer sure what town it was, it may have been Coffs Harbour- I was touring some primary schools with a small poetry show. 





Coffs Harbour Sunrise- Ken Sedgmen




SPRING MORNING- SEASIDE TOWN



Spring morning is uplifting

light on a seaside town.

Through gaps in clouds' grey-drifting,

the eastward shine whites down:

The day's bright worth;

sight birth of earth.



Now through the motel window pane,

where dust is dappled by past rain,

I see the varied greens of trees-

the eucalypts, the camphor laurels, pines,

and palms that squeeze, with fountain leaves,

between the grey roofs, neat in lines.



Yet most I notice now, in new light's day,

that peewees, magpies, and white gulls

far-fly

through wide, vast stretches of grey sky.



And most of all I hear,

above the highway droning there,

small pipe tones of the secret finches near

and further deeper notes

of larger citizens of air.



Yet somewhere, deep in mind, I find

the feeling of another hearing-

the ringing silence of the heart,

the hidden sound of passing night:

the chorus of

the angels of the light.



Although the matters of the day

in moments must take me away,

within my heart. like listened form,

I hear the echo of the dawn-

first word of light once first unfurled

at that first morning of the world.






1 comment: