Friday 8 January 2016

Mark Scrivener Poetry Blog No 112 Night (Street before Margaret's Door) from Faust


NIGHT- STREET BEFORE GRETCHEN’S DOOR
In this scene the tragedy gathers momentum as Faust is lured into slaying Gretchen's (Margaret's) brother through the influence of Mephistopheles.. Thus he is trapped into greater guilt and Margaret into greater despair as Mephistopheles. reveals his truly destructive influence.






NIGHT

STREET BEFORE GRETCHEN’S DOOR

VALENTINE (A SOLDIER, GRETCHEN’S BROTHER)

When I’d sit at a drinking bout,
Where many like to boast and shout,
And my companions burst forth loudly
About a woman’s beauty; proudly
Washed down their praises with strong toasts-
I’d calmly sit and hear their boasts,
My arm propped on a bench, I knew
I’d wait till swaggering was through.
I’d smile and stroke my beard and then,
A brimming glass held in my hand,
I’d say- Yes, each to his own, my friend;
But is there one in this whole land
Who’s like my Gretel? It's quite plain
None hold a candle to her flame.
Hear! Hear! Clink! Clink! It went around;
Then one would cry- He’s right, she’s best,
She’s like a pearl above the rest.
Then boasters sat without a sound.
And now- I could tear out my hair!
Run up the wall in my despair!
With stabbing jeers, nose in the air,
All rats may taunt without a care!
And like a debtor I shall sit,
And each chance word shall make me sweat!
And though my fists could send them flying,
I still could not claim they were lying.

Who’s coming now? Who’s sneaking through?
If I’m not wrong, now there are two.
If it is he, I’ll have his hide.
He shall not leave this place alive.

FAUST MEPHISTOPHELES

FAUST

How from the window the eternal flame
Of Sacristy’s small lamp is flickering;
It glimmers outwards, ever-weakening,
While all around a pressing darkness reigns!
My night-caught heart is just like that.

MEPHISTOPHELES

And I feel like a slender cat
That up a fire ladder crawls
And strokes himself against the walls.
Yes, here I feel quite virtuous -
A bit of thief’s delight, a bit of randiness.
Walpurgis night’s magnificence
Already spooks through limb and sense.
Two nights away its dark will break;
Yes, then you know why you’re awake.

FAUST

But is the treasure to rise in the air
Which I see glimmering back there?

MEPHISTOPHELES

You’ll soon experience the pleasure
Of lifting up that pot of treasure.
I took a peep not long ago-
Fine silver lion-coins all aglow.

FAUST

But are no jewels there, no ring,
To decorate my darling girl?

MEPHISTOPHELES

Oh no, I noticed such a thing,
It seemed some sort of string of pearls.

FAUST

That’s good. It pains me if I go
To her without gifts, as you know.

MEPHISTOPHELES

It should not bother you to be
Enjoying something now for free.
Now that the sky glows full of stars, I’ll bring
A true art work before her hearing;
I’ll sing for her a moral thing,
More surely to entice her feeling.

SINGS TO THE ZITHER

Why stand before
Your loved one’s door,
Oh, Kathy, for
The early dawn is burning?
Let be, be done,
He’ll let you in,
A pure one,
But pure not returning.
Beware, dears- do!
When it is through,
Good night to you,
Good night, you poor, poor things!
Don’t come to grief,
Avoid belief
In any thief,
Until you wear his ring!

VALENTINE (STEPPING FORWARD)

Whom do you lure? God’s element!
You damnable rat-catcher, you!
To hell first with the instrument,
To hell then with the singer too!

MEPHISTOPHELES

The zither is in two! There’s nothing left at all.

VALENTINE

And now for splitting skulls as well.

MEPHISTOPHELES (TO FAUST)

Good doctor, don’t give way! Be quick!
Stay close, and follow on my lead!
So out now with your mopping stick!
I’ll parry, you thrust out with speed.

VALENTINE

So parry then!

MEPHISTOPHELES

Why not? Most civil!

VALENTINE

And that!

MEPHISTOPHELES

Delighted!

VALENTINE
Seems I fight the devil!
What’s this? My hand’s already lame.

MEPHISTOPHELES (TO FAUST)

Thrust home!

VALENTINE (FALLING)

O no!

MEPHISTOPHELES

So now the rascal’s tamed!
But now let’s vanish! Away at once! Let’s go!
There rise the murderous cries already. Though
With mere police I get on famously,
Blood-vengeance calls don't work for me.

MARTHA (FROM THE WINDOW)

Come out! Come out!

GRETCHEN (FROM THE WINDOW)

Quick, bring a light!

MARTHA (AS ABOVE)

They quarrel, brawl- they shout and fight.

PEOPLE

One’s dead already- see!

MARTHA (COMING OUT)

But which way did the killers run?

GRETCHEN (COMING OUT)

Who lies here?

PEOPLE

Your mother’s son.

GRETCHEN

All-mighty God! What misery!

VALENTINE

I’m dying. That’s soon said, you know;
And sooner still it’s done.
Why are those women weeping so?
Come, listen, little one!

(ALL GATHER AROUND HIM)

Dear Gretchen, look! you are still young,
Not bright enough, all said and done,
And now you’ve gone astray.
I’ll tell you this in confidence:
You’re now a whore, so there’s no sense
In hiding it away.

GRETCHEN

My brother! God! What do you mean?

VALENTINE

Leave our Lord God out of this scene!
What’s done, I'm sad to say is done,
As things will work out, so they come.
You start with one, in secrecy,
Then more will come to join the spree,
And when a dozen have been down,
You may as well have all the town.

When first one’s shame appears,
There born in secret, far from sight,
One draws the dark, dark cloak of night
Down over its rough head and ears;
You’d like to slay it instantly.
And yet it grows and it gets bigger,
In daylight shows its naked figure,
But grows no prettier to see.
The uglier its face and way
The more it seeks the light of day.

And I can see a time, I think,
When honest citizens will shrink
From you, you harlot, as from the touch
Of an infected corpse’s clutch.
And when your eyes meet theirs, the pain
Will cause your heart to faint and falter!
No more you’ll wear a golden chain!
No more stand near the holy altar!
Nor with lace collar, fine and bright,
Take pleasure at a dance at night!
In some dark corner’s grief you’ll be
With beggars and cripples for company;
And even if God pardons you,
On earth you’re damned your whole life through!

MARTHA

Command your soul to God’s good grace!
Why load such slander on your case?

VALENTINE

Could I but get you, you withered bag,
You pimping, pandering, shameless hag!
I’d hope to find forgiveness then,
In some good measure for my sins!

GRETCHEN

My brother! O hell’s agony!

VALENTINE

I say just this- let crying be!
For when you let your honour go,
You gave my heart its hardest blow.
So through death’s sleep I pass on to
My God, as soldier, brave and true.

HE DIES

No comments:

Post a Comment