Wednesday 15 July 2015

Mark Scrivener Poetry Blog No 57 Winter Road




WINTER ROAD



Standing in a winter wind waiting for a late bus seemed a good time to write a poem one day- a good time to experiment with turning the moment into a metaphor.




WINTER ROAD




The wind-swept sun’s too weak to find


much from its rays as I, beside

              car-streams on grey road, stand around

to catch a late bus to another town.



At traffic lights some way away the cars

are smaller. Catching sun they turn

sun's western glow on metal, glass or chrome

to blazing flashes, dazzling stars.



The never-ending traffic river

as one voice growls- at moments over

I catch the cold, swift southern wind

creating whispers from the leaves

of small gum trees behind me here

before the gray fence hiding houses.



Across the road the bulldozed earth,

once fields for wallabies and horses,

is witness to the ceaseless building

of shopping centres and of dwellings-

a world of concrete and wrong trees.



Then sweeping further I can see

the skyline hills, still partly forest slope,

in bluish distance, giving me

a sensing of the wide world’s scope.



I have no views about this view-

the south-wind with its touch of ice,

the broad horizon’s haze of hills,

the endless traffic and torn earth,

the waiting by this winter road…



except it feels as sense of edges,

of being part and yet apart.



Perhaps my life is winter road.

As years creep on the young man’s gone

and ice is strewn upon my head.

And yet a road is still a road.



And I’m inclined to keep the thought

that there are ever ways to find,

in every place and every season,

a certain poetry of moments.






No comments:

Post a Comment