Saturday 12 September 2015

Mark Scrivener Poetry Blog No 83 Auerbach's Cellar in Leipzig


AUERBACH’S CELLAR IN LEIPZIG

Mephistopheles takes Faust to some drinking companions to see if he can seduce him into that life-style. In the original this works and a drunken Faust flies away on a wine barrel, however in Goethe's version Faust is hardly engaged in it at all. It provides a somewhat comic interlude. Auerbach's Cellar is a real place that still exists (although it has undergone many changes and even has a "Mephisto" bar). The young Goethe frequented it at times when he was a student in Leipzig university.

Goethe often visited Auerbach’s Cellar while studying in Leipzig 1765-1768 and called it his favourite wine bar. He saw there two paintings on wood dating from 1625, one depicting the magician and astrologer Faust drinking with students and the other showing him riding out the door astride a wine barrel. Goethe was already familiar with the Faust legend from his youth, since a puppet show Dr. Faust, was frequently performed at local street fairs. The scene Auerbach’s Cellar in Leipzig in his drama Faust I is his literary memorial to his student tavern and to the city, albeit an ironic one. According to legend, the alchemist Dr. Johann Georg Faust once rode a wine barrel from the cellar to the street at Auerbach's Cellar, something he could have accomplished only with the help of the Devil.- Wikipedia

Three of the four drinking companions are stereotypes from the academic world. Frosch was a nickname for a freshman. Brander was a term for a second year student and Altmayer (which derives from a headman, older steward or farmer as distinct from a young one) was slang for an ex-pupil or alumnus. Siebel derives from a distinguished family name from Northern Germany.

The song about the rat mirrors (in a comic way) the theme of tragic love that is central in Faust I. The song about the flea satirises the way in which courtiers could exist as parasites within medieval courts.

It is noteworthy that Mephistopheles' magic at the end is not merely fooling but has an edge of nastiness to it.





 Woodcut after a painting by Eduard Grützner


AUERBACH’S CELLAR IN LEIPZIG

MERRY GROUP OF DRINKING COMPANIONS

FROSCH

Will no one laugh? Will no one drink?
I’ll teach you to pull faces. I think
You’re really like wet straw some days,
Yet other times you burn light’s blaze.

BRANDER

Fault falls on you; you’ve added nothing new!
No stupid jokes and no obscenity.

FROSCH (POURING A GLASS OF WINE OVER BRANDER’S HEAD)

There you have both!

BRANDER
You swine twice through!

FROSCH

You wanted it, we give it free!

SIEBEL


Now those who want to fight get out!
With open breast sing round songs, swill and shout!
Right! Holla! Ho!

ALTIMEYER
Woe’s me! I’m lost, I fear!
Some cotton wool! The beggar’s split my ear!

SIEBEL


When echoes fill this vaulted space,
You really feel the basic power of bass.

FROSCH

That’s right, let’s toss out those who take exception.
Ah! Tara lara da!

ALTMAYER

Ah! Tara lara da!

FROSH

Our throats are now tuned to perfection.

HE SINGS

The Holy Roman Empire,
How does it hold together?

BRANDER

A nasty song! Phew, a political song,
A tiresome song! Thank God each morning time
That you don’t have to care about that realm.
At least I take it as a richly beneficial thing
That I am neither chancellor nor king.
But we must have a leader too;
We shall elect a pope. And you
All know what qualification can
Tip up the scales and raise the man.

FROSCH (SINGS)

Lady Nightingale, soar up above,
Ten thousand times greet my fair love.

SIEBEL

I will not hear of it! No greetings for that one!

FROSCH

My dear one greet and kiss! You cannot stop my fun!

HE SINGS

Draw the latch! in night’s still hour.
Draw the latch! your love wakes now.
Bolt it fast! It’s dawn at last.

SIEBEL

Yes sing, go on, sing up and boast and praise her loudly.
I’ll have my laugh when it is due.
She took me in and she will do the same to you.
And may a goblin be her love tonight
And may he flirt with her where crossroads lie,
May some old billy, back from Blocksberg’s height,
Bleat out good night there as he gallops by.
I’d wish her some fine lad of flesh now, but
That’s much too good for that cheap slut.
There’s but one greeting I would claim:
I’d smash her every window pane.

BRANDER (BANGING ON THE TABLE)

Pay heed! Pay heed! Now hear my bit!
Good sirs, admit! I know what’s fit;
Some lovesick lads sit here and thus,
In keeping with their state, I must
Treat them to this good night salute!
Take heed! A song of newest type!
Sing its refrain with all your might!

HE SINGS
 

In a cellar nest there was a rat 
Living but on fat and butter, 
 Such a sack-like belly getting that  
He looked like Doctor Luther.  
Some poison bait the cook put out, 
 The world grew narrow round about- 
 As if he had love in his system.

CHORUS (GLEEFULLY)
As if he had love in his system.

BRANDER
 

He ran around and out he raced  
And guzzled from each puddle’s pool,  
He gnawed and scratched throughout the place,  
Nothing eased the frenzied fool;  
He sprang with many an anguished leap,  
But soon, poor beast, he was quite beat-  
As if he had love in his system.

CHORUS
As if he had love in his system.


BRANDER
 

In fear he fled into the kitchen,  
With bright day full sight granting,  
Fell by the stove and lay there twitching 
With pitiful, frantic panting.  
His poisoner laughed at his death, 
See how he gasps out his last breath- 
 As if he had love in his system.”

CHORUS
As if he had love in his system.

SIEBEL

How pleased the morons are at that!
It takes much skill it seems to me
To poison an unlucky rat.

BRANDER

They’re high in your regard, I see.

ALTMAYER

A big pot-belly with a bald patch;
Misfortune’s made him tame and weak,
And now he sees in bloated rats
A natural image for his physique.

FAUST AND MEPHISTOPHELES ENTER

MEPHISTOPHELES

I must, before much time can slip,
Bring you some bright companionship,
So that you see how lightly life can run.
The folk here make each day a day of fun.
With little wit and much ease, each threads
His dance upon a narrow, circling trail-
A kitten following its tail.
When not lamenting aching heads
And while the host gives credit, they’re
Quite happy and without a care.

BRANDER

They’ve just come in here from a trip.
You see their funny manner. It’s my tip
They haven’t been here yet an hour.

FROSCH

My word, you’re right! So let me praise my Leipzig now!
It’s a little Paris that gives its people culture’s power.

SIEBEL

What do you think they are about?

FROSCH

Leave it to me! For over a full glass
I’ll draw forth these fine fellow’s past
As lightly as a child’s first tooth comes out.
They seem to me to be of high descent,
They look so proud, so full of discontent.

BRANDER
They’re swindlers- bet my bottom dollar!
 


ALTMAYER

Perhaps.

FROSCH
 


         You watch. I’ll get them steamed.

MEPHISTOPHELES

These simpletons would not detect the fiend,
Not even when he’s got them by the collar.

FAUST

My greetings, friends!

SIEBEL
Much thanks! The same but multiplied.

SOFTLY. LOOKING ASKANCE AT MEPHISTOPHELES

Why does that fellow limp one side?

MEPHISTOPHELES

Is it all right with you if we sit by?
Instead of decent drinks, which one cannot get here,
Companionship shall satisfy.

ALTMEYER

You’re very spoilt- it would appear.

FROSCH

Departed late from Rippach? You supped, I see,
With Mr. Jack Ass before you set upon your way?

MEPHISTOPHELES

We had to ride on past today;
But talked a lot last time we met, and he
Had much to say of his dear, near relations,
And asked I send you all his warmest salutations.

HE BOWS TOWARDS FROSCH

ALTMAYER (SOFTLY)

You have it! That one knows.

SIEBEL
A crafty customer.

FROSCH

Just wait. I’ll get him yet, the cur!

MEPHISTOPHELES

We heard, unless I’m greatly wrong,
A chorus of skilled voices ringing;
I’m sure these vaults would sound along,
Re-echoing with excellence, your singing.

FROSCH

You are, perhaps, a virtuoso?

MEPHISTOPHELES

I fear not. My desire’s strong. My power so-so.

ALTMAYER

Give us a song!

MEPHISTOPHELES

As many as are mine.

SIEBEL

Then something in a brand-new vein!

MEPHISTOPHELES

Now we have just returned from visiting Spain,
The lovely land of song and wine.

HE SINGS

Now once there lived a king

Who had an enormous flea-

FROSCH
Hear that? A flea! You get it, get the jest?
A flea’s a lovely sort of guest.

MEPHISTOPHELES (SINGING)

Now once there lived a king
Who had an enormous flea
That he loved like anything,
Like an only son was he.
He bade his tailor come,
The man came to his call-
You dress this noble one,
Fit him with pants and all.

BRANDER

And don’t forget to make the tailor see
His measuring is most exact;
And if he likes his head intact,
The trousers must be wrinkle-free.

MEPHISTOPHELES

In silk and velvet, he
Was done up for the part-
Beribboned finery,
A cross upon his heart.
At once made Minister,
With star of great degree;
His brothers and sisters were
Made court nobility.

The lords and ladies there
Were tortured by this brood,
The queen and maid, both fair,
Were bitten and were chewed.
They weren’t allowed to crack them,
They weren’t allowed to scratch.
But we can get right at them
And crack and choke our catch.

CHORUS (SHOUTING)

But we can get right at them
And crack and choke our catch.

FROSCH

Bravo! Bravo! that was great!

SIEBEL

All fleas should go to such a fate!

BRANDER

Point your fingers, nip neat and fine!

ALTMAYER

Now long live freedom! And long live wine!

MEPHISTOPHELES

I would, to honour freedom, like to lift my glass,
Were but your wine of somewhat better class.

SIEBEL

Let us not hear of that again!

MEPHISTOPHELES

I merely feared the landlord might complain
Were I to give each honoured guest
A vintage worthy of the best.

SIEBEL

Go on! I’ll shoulder any blame.

FROSCH

Well, if they’re good , then you’ll be praised up to the skies,
But make your sample some fair size,
For if I am to judge at all,
I like to have my mouth quite full.

ALTMAYER (SOFTLY)

Yes, they’re from Rhineland, now I’m sure.

MEPHISTOPHELES

Get me an augur then.

BRANDER
But what will you prepare?
You surely don’t have casks outside the door?

ALTMAYER

The landlord’s tools are over there.

MEPHISTOPHELES (TAKING THE AUGER)

(TO FROSCH)

What would you like to taste? Feel free.

FROSCH

What do you mean? Have you so many kinds?

MEPHISTOPHELES

Well, each is free to make up his own mind.

ALTMAYER (TO FROSCH)

Aha! You start to lick your lips, I see.

FROSCH

Good! Now if I am to choose, I’ll have a nice Rhine wine.
Our fatherland bestows the best of every line.

MEPHISTOPHELES (BORING A HOLE IN THE TABLE WHERE FROSCH IS SITTING)

Give me a little wax so I can make the stoppers.

ALTMAYER

Oh, it is merely some old trick of jugglers.

MEPHISTOPHELES (TO BRANDER)

And you?

BRANDER
A good champagne for me,
One really sparkling prettily.

MEPHISTOPHELES BORES. SOMEONE, MEANTIME, HAS MADE THE WAX STOPPERS AND PLUGGED THE HOLES

BRANDER

Don’t pass by all that’s not our own.
Good often lies quite far away.
Although an honest German leaves the French alone,
He’ll drink their wine up any day.

SIEBEL (AS MEPHISTOPHELES NEARS HIS PLACE)

I must confess, I do not like the dry;
Give me a glass that’s really sweet.

MEPHISTOPHELES (BORING A HOLE)

For you Tokay would be a treat.

BRANDER

No, gentlemen, look me in the eye!
I see that this is just a jest.

MEPHISTOPHELES

My, my! With such distinguished guests
That would be tempting gentle fate.
Be quick! Come out and tell me straight-
What wine would you like served, my friend?

ALTMAYER

Why waste time asking? They’re all great.

AFTER ALL THE HOLES HAVE BEEN PIERCED AND STOPPED

MEPHISTOPHELES (WITH CURIOUS GESTURES)
Vines bear grapes aloft, Billy goat bears horns up top; The wine is juicy, wood the vine, The wooden table can thus give wine. Deep insight into nature’s way! Here is a wonder, believe just what I say! Now pull the corks, enjoy your fill!

ALL (AS THEY PULL THE STOPPERS OUT AND THE DESIRED WINE FLOWS INTO EACH GLASS)

A lovely fountain flows for us at will!

MEPHISTOPHELES

Just have a care no drop of this stuff spills!

(THEY DRINK REPEATEDLY)

ALL (SINGING)
We feel as fine as cannibals, Just like five hundred sows.

MEPHISTOPHELES

Just look how well it goes when folk are free!

FAUST

I do not wish to stay here longer.

MEPHISTOPHELES

But first watch this, their bestiality
Will soon be shown in all its splendour.

SIEBEL (DRINKING CARELESSLY SO THAT THE WINE FLOWS TO THE FLOOR AND TURNS INTO FLAME)

Help! Fire! Help! This flame’s hell-sent!

MEPHISTOPHELES (SPEAKING TO THE FLAME)

Be peaceful, friendly element!

(TO THE COMPANIONS)

This time was but a drop of purgatory’s flame.

SIEBEL

What’s that mean? You’ll pay dearly for this game.

Seems you don’t know us, clever gent.



FROSCH



Just let him try that one on us again.



ALTMAYER



I think we’ll tell him just to quietly go away.



SIEBEL



What sir! You dare to come and play

Your hocus-pocus on good men.



MEPHISTOPHELES



Shut up! old wine cask!



SIEBEL



Broomstick man

Will you try rudeness on us too?



BRANDER



Just wait; for blows shall rain on you!



ALTMAYER (PULLS A CORK OUT OF THE TABLE, FLAMES SPURT OUT AT HIM)



I’m burning! I’m burning!



SIEBEL



Spells for sure!

Get him! This creep’s outside the law!

THEY DRAW KNIVES AND ADVANCE ON MEPHISTOPHELES

MEPHISTOPHELES (WITH EARNEST GESTURES)
False words, scenes in air,

Make sense and place elsewhere,

Be here, yet be there!



(THEY STAND ASTONISHED AND LOOK AT ONE ANOTHER)



ALTMAYER



Where am I? What a beautiful land!



FROSCH



Look vineyards! Do I see rightly?



SIEBEL



Grapes right at my hand!



BRANDER



Beneath green-clustered leaves, what shapes!

Look, what a vine! Look, what fine grapes!



HE GRABS SIEBEL BY THE NOSE. THE OTHERS DO SIMILARLY AND RAISE THEIR KNIVES



MEPHISTOPHELES



Error, loose blindfolds from this band!

And note the jokes the devil throws.



HE DISAPPEARS WITH FAUST. THE COMPANIONS FALL

APART AND SEPARATE



SIEBEL

What’s up?

ALTMAYER
Was that your nose?

BRANDER (TO SIEBEL)

And I’ve got yours too in my hand!

ALTMAYER

That was a shock that went through every limb.
A chair. I’ll faint. My eyes are dim.

FROSCH

Now tell me, what was going on?

SIEBEL

Where is that rat? If I track him,
He will not be alive for long.

ALYMAYER

He rode a cask: I saw the thing-
Out through the cellar door he’s gone-
My feet both feel lead-heavy loads.

TURNING TOWARDS THE TABLE

Say! Do you think the wine still flows?

SIEBEL

It was all lies and tricky show.

FROSCH

It seemed like drinking good wine though.

BRANDER

But how about those grapes we saw?

ALTMAYER

Now tell me you are sure
There are no wonders any more! 




No comments:

Post a Comment