Tuesday 25 August 2015

Mark Scrivener Poetry Blog No 76 The Name of the Cat




 
THE NAME OF THE CAT

Narration is, I believe, a legitimate use of verse. Verse gives narration a certain extra form. While this may not be suitable for every sort of story it can be effective on occasion. The basis of this ballad (written originally for younger readers) is a folk tale that originated n the so-called far east. It not only extols the virtue of "calling a spade a spade" and not trying "dress up" things, but also points out the relativity of notions of "importance" - given that all things are related and interdependent. 





                 THE NAME OF THE CAT

There was a king who had a cat.
A beautiful, white cat it was.
He wished to name the cat because
All things have names and that is that.

He thought for all that he was worth,
What is the greatest thing I know?
This cat can so be named to show
I've found the greatest cat on earth.

One day he chanced to lift his eyes
And saw the blue, blue heavens there.
"How vast they are: what can compare?
I'll call this special creature- 'Skies'!"

His chief advisor, old and wise,
Heard why the cat was now named "Skies",
"Your Majesty, may I advise:
The cloud can cover all the skies."

And so the cat became the "Cloud;"
And all went on without a hitch,
Until the queen heard of the switch,
And laughed a little, right out loud.

"My dearest husband, it's quite plain:
The wind can chase the cloud away.
The wind is stronger, any day!"
The "Wind" was now the cat's right name.

And "Wind" it stayed for a day or two,
Until a friend said, with a laugh,
"A wall can stop the wind's rough path,
So call it 'Wall', that's what I'd do."

But "Wall" was not its name for long,
An old schoolmaster croaked, "In all,
A mouse can gnaw right through a wall,
And so a wall's not all that strong."

There was a hush in the royal house.
"Oh dear," the king said, with a sigh,
"I thought the greatest thing was sky;
But now it seems it is the 'Mouse'."

"Why do you call our dear cat 'Mouse'?"
The king's small son piped up at once,
"Oh, father, you are such a dunce:
The cat hunts mice inside the house!"

The king blushed red when this was said.
But then he laughed and laughed out loud,
" I am a fool! I am too proud!
I should have stayed with 'Cat' instead!"

"I should have called my cat, a cat.
I've been a fool for fussing so!
For what is greatest, what is low?
All things have names, and that is that."

No comments:

Post a Comment